The Secret Behind Anita's Hexagons

September 2015

C&T Publishing  encouraged its authors to mark this National Sewing Month and I got on board. My contribution is a very special Hexagon pattern that's been, unbelievably, under wraps for ten years.
How to Make the Best Use of Fabric
Use my line drawing to turn a 10" square of fabric into 7 hexagons (and 4 half-hexagons) in 10 cuts. Without waste.

It's typical of patterns in my Rotary Cutting Revolution book. Efficient cutting without waste or measuring.
I got together with Rachel Low here in New York at her Pins & Needles shop. Rachel is the C&T author of  Girl's Guide to DIY Fashion   We helped each other to make our how to videos. Have a look at mine, and if you hear a phone ring once, well, rings happen.
These fabric hexagons are suited for English Paper Piecing EPP. After making the video I polished up the pattern and made it available as this free PDF download
My technique-filled class Traditional Blocks Made Simple is on Craftsy. It includes as a bonus the PDF of Rotary Cutting Revolution. Identical to the paperback version complete with 300+ photos and easy to print patterns. All in all, a sweet deal to celebrate National Sewing Month for yourself.

Make it Simpler,
 Anita
It all began many hexagons ago...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anita,
This is great, I love how you figure out how to get as much out of fabric as possible without waste. And...keeping the orientation of the fabric the same is genius.

Linda S.
Houston, TX

Ramona said...

Anita, I gained access to this book through your Craftsy class and just love many of your techniques. I have been raving about your class at the last two quilt meetings and did a quick demo of your cutting method for the pineapple quilt. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us.
Ramona