The Origin of the Self-Mitered Log Cabin

It's About Time 
Show and Tell  New York  1997
Where it all began 
I first began printing geometric block patterns using Electric Quilt software onto onion-skin paper for foundation piecing in the early '90s. Some years later, McCall’s Quilting magazine launched the Basic Realities contest which featured Jinny Beyer fabric.

I entered Reality Check using one of the early patterns. It was karma. Among the prizes I won were a half-dozen books from C&T Publishing. In 2000 I made a miniature version:  "Manhattan Two-Step."

I started the Self-Mitered Log Cabin in 2002 but put aside to write "Make It Simpler Paper Piecing" 2003 and its sequel "Perfect Blocks in Minutes" one year later for C&T Publishing I returned to the S-MLC and published it in" Rotary Cutting Revolution."  You may think you know how I pieced it but I bet you don't. You can't tell by looking at the quilt.
Reality Check 1997
Self-Mitered Log Cabin Block
Self-Mitered Log Cabin top
 
The Self-Mitered Quilt  2002-2008 69" x 81"  (detail)