Good Fortune, Ginger and Fred (1/3)

Previous posts   2/3   3/3
In 2001, I found a simpler way to paper piece. I was able to piece an entire quilt block onto one sheet of lightweight translucent vellum. I use Simple Foundations vellum.

I never have to sew separated subunits together. If your computer is located in the U.S. you may view this  technique on HGTVcom. These videos about Simpler Paper Piecing were recorded in January 2003

Unlike Humpty Dumpty, if you don't cut a foundation pattern apart, you wont have to put it back together again.

(Stay with me, this is the preamble to my Quiltmaker 100 Blocks Blog for Friday)

C&T published both of my books of classic 6" paper pieced blocks: Make It Simpler Piecing and Perfect Blocks in Minutes, the Make It Simpler Way. The patterns are printed on 9" wide pages. This unusual  width accommodates the blocks’ 6" finished size. Most of the blocks are classics and in the public domain;  I hold the copyright to the unique foundation patterns, i.e. the line drawings.
“Good Fortune” is a four patch design by Clara Stone (Brackman #1184.)  The Foundation pattern for it (above) appears on p30 of  Make it Simpler Paper Piecing.

Don't even think about cutting the foundation pattern into four sections

On January 2, 2003, I pieced the Good Fortune block below. Four subunits (left) were pieced onto one sheet of vellum. I folded it in half and stitched a continuous seam. I unfolded my work and then folded it perpendicularly. I stitched the remaining seam. I never used a pin. If you watched the videos you understand the concept.
Eight years later I rotated each of the four units and spun them off into a variation for a baby quilt. The spin-off became “Ginger and Fred” which developed into one of my CuttingLines™ pattern. The baby quilt is still in pieces.

To be continued on Friday with a special pattern for download.

4 comments:

Martina said...

Wow, this is a great method and I love the result! I am from Switzerland!

Unknown said...

Cool block! I'm from central Connecticut.

Dodi

Anonymous said...

Love your techniques. I'm from northeast Ohio

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 1 post on Aug. 15, 2012. Thanks again.